Pyin Oo Lwin is a former British hill station, located in the Shan hills east of Mandalay. Founded by the British in 1896, the town was originally called Maymyo and relatively cool climate allowing the British ruling class to escape from the heat of Mandalay and lower Myanmar. Just over an hour’s drive from Mandalay, and with spectacular views from the road up the escarpment, the town features many examples of colonial architecture, churches, transport in traditional stagecoaches and a beautiful botanical garden.
Naung Kan Gyi Paya: nice view from the hilltop overlooking the town.
Colonial town center: surrounding the Purcell Tower, a clock tower given to the town by Queen Victoria, (she offered an identical tower to Capetown in South Africa).
Church of the Immaculate Conception: 100-year-old brick church with a bell tower and a cruciform floor plan. The simple exterior belies the beauty of its interior.
Chinese Temple: colourful temple built by Yunnan immigrants.
Candacraig Hotel: beautiful, colonial relic in peaceful grounds, previously the bachelor quarters for employees of the Bombay Burma Trading Company.